- Total Duration:15 Days
- Best Time:Sept, Oct, Nov, March, April, May
- Max Elevation:5,483 m
- Trip Grade:Moderate, Hard
- Start Point:Kathmandu
- End Point:Kathmandu
- Group Size:2-12
- Transportation:Private Vehicle
- Meals:Full board included
Gokyo Valley Trekking is a popular trek amongst the trekkers heading towards Everest Base Camp that offers you mesmerizing views of the mountain peaks and the largest glacier of Nepal, Ngozumpa. Some of the famous mountains of Nepal, such as Mount Everest, Cho Oyu, Kanchanjunga, Lhotse, Makalu, etc are beautifully visible from Gokyo Ri above Gokyo Lake. Gokyo Ri, a peak situated at an altitude of 5357 meters, is the point where the trekkers reach to and return from. Gokyo Lake is one of the favorite destinations for Hindu and Buddhist pilgrims where they visit during the festival of Janai Purnima for a holy bath in the lake. Trekkers can also experience a magnificent view of ice ridge between Cho You and Cyachung in the Khumbu Region. Apart from these, you can pass through different Sherpa villages during the trekking resulting in you to explore about the local culture and tradition.
- Day 1Arrival in Kathmandu airport (1400m/ 4600 ft).
- Day 2Sightseeing around Kathmandu valley.
- Day 3Flight to Lukla (2,804 m/ 9199 ft) – 35 mins. Trek to Phakding (2,610 m/ 8562 ft) – 3 hrs
- Day 4Trek to Namche Bazaar (3,441 m/ 11289 ft) – 5.5 hrs
- Day 5Namche Bazaar acclimatization day
- Day 6Trek to Phorste Thanga (3,680 m/ 12073 ft) – 5 hrs
- Day 7Trek to Machherma (4,470 m/ 14665 ft) – 5 hrs
- Day 8Trek to Gokyo (4,790 m/ 15715 ft) – 5.5 hrs
- Day 9Trek to Gokyo Ri (5,483 m/ 17988 ft) and back to Gokyo – 5 hrs
- Day 10Trek to Dole (4,200 m/ 13779 ft) – 6 hrs
- Day 11Trek to Namche Bazaar via Khumjung village (3,780 m/ 12401 ft) – 5 hrs
- Day 12Trek to Lukla (2,804 m/ 9199 ft) – 6 hrs
- Day 13Morning flight back to Kathmandu
- Day 14Leie day and farewell dinner in Kathmandusur
- Day 15Transfer for your final flight departure
- Day 1
Arrival in Kathmandu airport (1400m/ 4600 ft).
Our airport representative will be receiving you at Tribhuvan International airport, Kathmandu and s/he will be displaying an Alaya Holidays signboard outside the airport terminal. You will be then transferred to your respective hotel in our private tourist vehicle.
- Day 2
Sightseeing around Kathmandu valley.
A professional guide and vehicle will be provided for sightseeing in and around Kathmandu city. We will visit some of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the city along with other interesting cultural monuments that dot the valley. These include Bouddhanath Stupa (the largest Buddhist shrines in the world), Pashupatinath (the holy temple of Hindus), Durbar Squares (Palaces and fortresses of medieval Kings), along with other popular cultural attractions. We get to observe the lifestyle of Nepalese people, holy sadhus and monks, fascinating history as well as awe-inspiring architecture.
- Day 3
Flight to Lukla (2,804 m/ 9199 ft) – 35 mins. Trek to Phakding (2,610 m/ 8562 ft) – 3 hrs
An early morning start takes us to the Tribhuwan International Airport in Kathmandu for the 35-minute scenic flight to Tenzing and Hillary Airport at Lukla (2,804m). On arrival at the airport guide will brief you and introduce our porters before we begin our trek towards Phakding (2,610m). After landing we have time to explore the village while our Sherpa crew sort and load our trekking equipment. Then we begin our trek by descending towards the Dudh Kosi River where we join the main trail to Namche Bazaar, located just above Chaunrikharka (2,713m). The walking is easy and after passing through the small village of Ghat (2,550m) it is a short walk to Phakding. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 4
Trek to Namche Bazaar (3,441 m/ 11289 ft) – 5.5 hrs
We continue trekking along the banks of the Dudh Kosi, crossing the majestic river many times on exciting suspension bridges laden with prayer flags. After entering the Sagamartha National Park, the trail climbs steeply with breathtaking views. Namche Bazaar (considered the Gateway to Everest) is home to many quality restaurants, hotels, lodges, shops, money exchange services, internet cafes and bakeries. Namche is the biggest town along the Everest trail. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 5
Namche Bazaar acclimatization day
We spend a day in Namche Bazaar in order to acclimatize and adjust to the thinning air. We will trek a short distance to a museum that is celebrated for its exhibits of the traditional customs of the Sherpa people. We also hike up the Syangboche Airport near the Everest View Hotel. From this point, we can see rewarding views of the Himalayas with a stunning sunrise and sunset over the panorama of Khumbu peaks. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 6
Trek to Phorste Thanga (3,680 m/ 12073 ft) – 5 hrs
The trail climbs steeply out of valley through rhododendron forest, juniper and large conifers start to appear as the elevation increases making the trekking very pristine in springtime. The trail passes through Yak Kharkas and summer settlements. The views of Khumbi La and Tawache are magnificent throughout the day. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 7
Trek to Machherma (4,470 m/ 14665 ft) – 5 hrs
We climb a ridge for an excellent view both down the valley to Kengtega and up towards Cho Oyu and descend to a river and again climbs steep to the terminal moraine of the Ngozumpz glacier. We will reach Machherma by early noon. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 8
Trek to Gokyo (4,790 m/ 15715 ft) – 5.5 hrs
The trek today takes us at one of our main destinations, Gokyo (4,790m). We will make this camp our base for 2 nights as we will have couple of sightseeing and hiking trips around Gokyo. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 9
Trek to Gokyo Ri (5,483 m/ 17988 ft) and back to Gokyo – 5 hrs
Early in the morning we have a steep climb up to the top of Gokyo Ri at an elevation of 5,483m. There are ample rewards for those who attempt this trip – you get stunning views of the super Gokyo valley, the massive Ngozumpa glacier and an incredible panoramic view of the whole Khumbu Himalayas, including the giants Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse, Makalu, Cho-Oyu and Gychung Kang. This day we have for acclimatization and after noon back to the camp. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 10
Trek to Dole (4,200 m/ 13779 ft) – 6 hrs
Following the trail we make our descent to Dole. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 11
Trek to Namche Bazaar via Khumjung village (3,780 m/ 12401 ft) – 5 hrs
We continue walking through a typical Sherpa village of Khumjung, leaving the mountains behind us as we descend back to Namche Bazaar. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 12
Trek to Lukla (2,804 m/ 9199 ft) – 6 hrs
Finally we return to Lukla where we started our trek, which might seem like a lifetime ago. We’ll spend some time enjoying and reflecting on the trek as a group and the personal achievement of all those who took part. We also have some spare time to explore the town some more. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 13
Morning flight back to Kathmandu
On your flight back to Kathmandu as you leave Lukla, you can enjoy some last-minute glimpses of the mountains you just recently visited. Upon arrival in Kathmandu, our airport representative will transfer you to your hotel from the airport. Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 14
Leie day and farewell dinner in Kathmandusur
This will be a spare day in Kathmandu after the tiring trekking program. You have the option to extend your trip to continue onto Chitwan jungle safari, rafting adventure, Kathmandu valley shopping tour, scenic Everest flight, mountain biking and other activities. In the evening we will have a farewell dinner in a traditional Nepalese restaurant with cultural performances. (Your guide(s) and an office staff will accompany you.) Overnight at a hotel in Kathmandu.
- Day 15
Transfer for your final flight departure
Transfer for your final flight departure
The trip concludes – our airport representative will drop you to Kathmandu’s Tribhuwan International Airport for your flight departure from Nepal.
- Airport pickups and drops in a private vehicle
- Hotel accommodation in Kathmandu with breakfast
- Teahouse accommodation during trek
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the trek
- All ground transportation on a comfortable private vehicle as per the itinerary
- Domestic flights (Kathmandu-Lukla-Kathmandu)
- An experienced, English or French speaking and government-
- licensed trek leader and assistant trek leader (4 trekkers: 1 assistant guide)
- Porter service (2 trekkers: 1 porter)
- Staff costs including their salary, insurance, equipment, food and accommodation
- Down jacket and sleeping bag (to be returned after trip completion)
- Alaya Holiday's trekking bag/duffel bag, t-shirt and trekking map are yours to take
- All necessary paperwork and trekking permits (ACAP, TIMS)
- Medical kit (carried by your trek leader)
- All government and local taxes
- Farewell dinner by Alaya Holidays
- International airfare to and from Kathmandu
- Nepalese visa fee
- Excess baggage charges
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu due to any reason
- Travel and rescue insurance
- Personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottle or boiled water, shower, etc.)
- Tips for guide(s), porter(s) and driver(s)